Tickets for TEDxTauranga 2017 go on sale tomorrow, yay!
In the meantime, it’s our pleasure to announce the first three (of our 10) speakers for TEDxTauranga 2017:
First 3 Speakers for TEDxTauranga 2017
1. Mike Seawright
Crossing no man’s land – Mike Seawright left the corporate world for conflict zones and found humanity at its best. Mike Seawright is founder of ReliefAid and lives in Auckland.
Since leaving the corporate world behind 13 years ago, Mike Seawright has been delivering humanitarian assistance to families living in the world’s conflict zones. He has provided medical aid in Iraq, Yemen and South Sudan, economic development projects in Afghanistan, shelter, and education aid in Pakistan and most recently Syria. Frustrated that not enough was being done to help families affected by war and conflict Mike founded ReliefAid. With a simple vision of helping families who had no one else to turn too, ReliefAid has delivered life-saving aid to over 68,000 people in war torn Syria, and he is not stopping there. While his work surrounds him in war and conflict Mike counts himself lucky to bear witness to what he calls “the very best of humanity”. He feels strongly about speaking out on behalf of those who are unable to speak for themselves. Mike’s experience has also shown him families really are the same the world over and that we can make a difference to those less fortunate than ourselves.
With a simple vision of helping families who had no one else to turn too, ReliefAid has delivered life-saving aid to over 68,000 people in war torn Syria, and he is not stopping there. While his work surrounds him in war and conflict Mike counts himself lucky to bear witness to what he calls “the very best of humanity”. He feels strongly about speaking out on behalf of those who are unable to speak for themselves. Mike’s experience has also shown him families really are the same the world over and that we can make a difference to those less fortunate than ourselves.
2. Shelly Davies
We don’t like to read the formal business voice. But somehow we still feel the need to write it. Come on, people! Reconnect with your reader-self. That formal business voice is DEAD. Shelly Davies, Head Ninja & Rockstar Writer, lives in the Tron.
Shelly Davies is Managing Director of Hamilton-based Shelly Davies Writing & Training. Shelly bounced unconventionally and entertainingly into the New Zealand communications landscape in 2012. With a brand that’s exploded across a surprising mix of sectors and industries she’s now leading the pack.
“Brand Shelly” is out of the box, bubbly, pretty damn irresistible, more than a little sassy, and rapidly giving fewer and fewer f*cks what anyone thinks. And it’s working. Her writing is sharp, sought after, and highly paid. Her trainings are high energy, instantly impactful, and booked up to 2 years in advance.
She did her time in the classroom torturing teenagers and indoctrinating university students with academic conventions. She killed off one husband,trainingut another one, and popped out 3 money-sucking vampires. And then she discovered something amazing: good writing PAYS. And like common sense, it ain’t common.
3. Mayank Thammalla
We as a species must adapt to the changing geography of our earth. Mayank uses an architectural design approach to look at how to shift the notion of culture and its connection to a disappearing landscape. Mayank lives in Tauranga.
Mayank Thammalla grew up in Mount Maunganui, New Zealand and spent his childhood surrounding himself with nature’s beauty. Mayank holds a Masters of Architecture and is based in Mount Maunganui.
From a young age, Mayank was always inspired by the natural environment that he was surrounded with and knew that he was destined to work in the creative industry.
Mayank was considered 1 of 10 Designboom’s architectural visionaries of 2015.
Yay! 5 New Sponsors On Board
We’ve had several awesome sponsors come on board in the last few weeks:
- Tauranga City Council
- Year after year Tauranga City Council has supported our Event. Thanks TCC!
- The University of Waikato
- Have been on the ground here in Tauranga since 1998 and the exciting new tertiary partership means a new campus in the CBD soon, exciting stuff! Thanks Waikato Uni!
- MYNOKE uses earthworms to solve industrial waste problems
- We had the founder of MYNOKE, Michael Quintern on stage at TEDxTauranga 2015 and this year him and his team are back to help us put on the show. Thanks MYNOKE!
- Bay of Connections
Is the regional growth strategy for the wider Bay of Plenty, with a vision of creating a prosperous region supported by sustainable sectors. Yay for the Bay!
- Another amazing Tauranga based company, yay! Bluelab exports innovative high-end hydroponic technology to the world from Tauriko. Thanks Bluelab!
Quick Facts About TEDxTauranga 2017
- When?: Saturday 7 October 2017, 10am to 6pm
- Where?: Holy Trinity Church, 215 Devonport Rd, Tauranga
- What?: 10 live speakers on stage + 3 entertainment acts + glorious food all day
- Cost?: $100 per person (discounts available for students and seniors)
- Tickets go on sale Fri 1 Sep 2017
How YOU can help us
- Can you help us spread the word?
- Who could you reach out to today to encourage them to join us for TEDxTauranga? (Send them to our email subscription page so we can keep them informed
- Could you put up a poster for us? Download and print out our A4 TEDxTauranga 2017 Poster (177Kb .pdf)
Thank you to all our amazing sponsors
- Platinum: Powerco
- Gold: Ignition Co-working Space / Tauranga City Council / The University of Waikato
- Silver: Comvita / MacKenzie Elvin / MYNOKE / Bay of Connections / Grow Coaching
- Bronze: Bluelab
- Media Partners: The Bay of Plenty Times / The Hits radio station / EventFinda / MailChimp
Marketing Lead for TEDxTauranga 2017